Sometimes middle school S.T.I.N.K.S! It’s a huge transition for teens as they navigate more rigorous academics and experience shifts in social-emotional development.
Middle School Scholars may:
- Experience conflicts due to conflicting loyalties to peer groups and family.
- Are often inconsistent in their behavior; anxiety and fear contrasted with periods of bravado; feelings shift between superiority and inferiority.
- Display a wide range of individual intellectual development as their minds experience transition from the concrete-manipulatory stage to the capacity for abstract thought.
Intellectually Middle School Scholars are ready for:
- Consideration of ideas contrary to fact
- Reasoning with hypotheses involving two or more variables
- Appreciation for the elegance of mathematical logic expressed in symbols
- Insight into the nuances of poetic metaphor and musical notation. Analysis of the power of a political ideology
- Ability to project thought into the future, to anticipate, and to formulate goals
- Insight into the sources of previously unquestioned attitudes, behaviors, and values
- Interpretation of larger concepts and generalizations of traditional wisdom expressed through sayings, axioms, and aphorisms
- Are intensely curious
- Prefer active over passive learning experiences; favor interaction with peers during learning activities;
- Exhibit a strong willingness to learn things they consider to be useful; enjoy using skills to solve real life problems;
- Are egocentric; argue to convince others; exhibit independent, critical thought;
- Consider academic goals as a secondary level of priority; personal social concerns dominate thoughts and activities;
- Experience the phenomenon of metacognition; the ability to know what one knows and does not know.
- Are intellectually at-risk; face decisions that have the potential to affect major academic values with lifelong consequences
The Grande Innovation Academy implements a middle school success program called Middle School S.T.I.N.K.S:
S: Safe emotional environment
T: Team work
I: Integrate technology
N: Needs assessment to ensure success
K: Knowledge of self and others
S: Skills for success